World Statistik Clock

Why did I run my 1st Marathon

Posted by almazonly

Minutes after a friend and I finished our first marathon, he said something to me that I will never forget and sometimes think about. He said “at least we ran this without having to!” I did not understand what he meant so I asked him to explain. He said that some people who decide to run a marathon do so because they get diagnosed with a terminal disease or because someone close to them just passed away. He was basically saying that some people run their first marathon after they get a “wake-up call” of how short life really is.

So, this beckons the question “why did you decide to run your first marathon?” Did you get a “wake up call”, go through a divorce, get convinced by a friend to do it with him or her, have a big life change, or did you just want to “check it off your list”?

To make a long story short, we downloaded a marathon training program from the internet and away we went. Because of our busy schedules we rarely trained together for the next 4 months but we finished both the half marathon and marathon together achieving very respectable times. The years following I went on to run twelve more marathons (before knee surgery) and my friend never ran another one.

So that’s my story, what’s yours? Tell us why you decided to run a marathon!

0 comments: